Tuesday, November 11, 2008

The Bible. Did You Know?


Most of my atheist friends think that my faith in Jesus is just as bizarre as belief in the Easter Bunny.
“You can’t argue with science,” they would say with an arrogant smile. (Ironically, most often I hear it from those who were dreading and hating science at school.) “People chose to believe these outdated concepts, because it is easy to believe in something than trying to understand the world scientifically. It is obvious”.
Trying to prove otherwise is usually just as useless as hitting your head on a brick wall hoping it would break. I’ve been on both sides of the “wall” and without hesitation I can say that being a Christian is a pretty darn hard work. It is not easy to try to be like Jesus, because of our sinful human nature; it is not easy when people you love think you are crazy and foolish for being a Christian; it is not easy to forgive, love and live the way God wants us to… If you tried, you know what I am talking about.
It also amazes me that so many people blindly trust in anything that has label “science” on it, without even realizing that science also has its own faith-based belief system… But I don’t feel like philosophizing about this today. There are numerous sites that do the job (such as www.godandscience.org).
Today I want to write about the Bible
Many don’t know that the Bible has more external historical evidence for authenticity that any other book in history. There are now more than 24000 known manuscript copies of the New Testament in existence. No other document of antiquity even begins to approach such numbers. The historical reliability of the Bible was tested many times by the same criteria used on all historical documents. Homer's Iliad is in second place behind the New Testament among ancient writings and it has just 643 copies. Yet how many people doubt Iliad’s authenticity and how many people doubt the Bible’s?
The Bible has proven itself to be archeologically accurate also. No archaeological evidence has been found that disproves the Bible's account of civilizations and cultures.
The more discoveries are made, the more proof is found for its authenticity. There are tons of information about it on the web, in books and periodicals.
And yet, people still chose to disbelieve. Many assume that the Bible is just a book of myths, legends and fiction characters (yes, some parts of the Bible ARE and were meant to be fiction) and don’t bother checking it out. The majority of people from my surroundings who mock Bible and think that it is a book of fairy tales have never actually read it, or even opened it.
I’ve noticed that many Christians don’t care about the historical reliability of the Bible. They either have no interest in such proof (they just KNOW the Bible is true) or they assume there is none — that it cannot be done. Since I became a Christian, I didn’t need any proof anymore, but before I became one it would have been greatly appreciated. Unfortunately, no one ever pointed out to the fact that Bible was not “made up by some crazy people” like I used to think. Bible is a historical document. But just like many others, I just assumed there would be no proof of any historical evidence and that Christian religion is based on blind faith.
I realize that the fact that the Bible’s has historical evidence is not going to turn everyone who finds out about it to Christianity. I just think that we, as Christians, can and should defend our faith and it is our responsibility to be able to defend it intellectually. Christians are constantly put on spot by atheists and non-believers, because they don’t know how to use facts, reason and logic to stand up for their faith or they are too lazy to do that. God gave us all brain, which is a terrible thing to waste.
So if somebody asks you,
How you, a smart guy/gal, can believe all these religion stuff which doesn’t even make sense?”
Instead of answering with: ”Jesus loves me this I know, for the Bible tells me so…”, you can say:
“Did you know that there are more than 24000 known manuscript copies of the New Testament in existence?…No?! Well, let me tell you…”

And then, don’t forget to pray hard for their salvation.

10 comments:

HIS Daughter said...

Hi!
I saw you at my blog! I'm not sure how you found me, but I welcome you there - to read anything and to please comment about anything at all!

I am so glad to have "met" you through the internet. Even if I don't know your name - you are an answer to a prayer that I prayed a very long time ago.

It's a long story, but to know that you are Russia immigrant and that your husband is a Christian man - that is such an answer to a prayer I had prayed two years ago.

A man I knew wanted to marry a young woman from Russia and he was not a Christian - in fact he was a very, very sin "sick" man. I was so afraid for the girl if she consented to marry him.

Luckily she did not and I have been praying for someone to show me that this can be good thing...that a good man ...a Christian man would marry and not the other kind of men.

Blessings and praying for you in your daily walk with HIM,
Teri

Faith said...

Have you been reading "The Case for Christ"? It sounds like it!

Happy Mama said...

Nope. Who is the author?

Darlene said...

Ok, girl. it is official. YOU ROCK!!!!!

As a former Athiest (hehe. that sounds wild!!), I just about popped off of my seat when I was reading this. ESPECIALLY THIS:
"I just think that we, as Christians, can and should defend our faith and it is our responsibility to be able to defend it intellectually. Christians are constantly put on spot by atheists and non-believers, because they don’t know how to use facts, reason and logic to stand up for their faith or they are too lazy to do that. God gave us all brain, which is a terrible thing to waste."

you rock. you rock!!!

I would soooo love to link my readers to your post. Would that be okay??? Oh, and if you are interested in my atheism babblings, I have a link on the right hand column of my blog: click on the word Atheism.

You are bringing glory to Christ, sweet friend.

Darlene

Darlene said...

Hi! Here is the post that links to your blog. Thanks for bringing up this worthy topic. http://worthwalkingtoward.blogspot.com/2008/11/know-your-facts-maam.html

Darlene said...

oops, forgot:
Case for Christ by Lee Strobel

it is a good starting book for Christian apologetics

Sean said...

I never understand why athiests feel it necessary to question faith.
Is it because they are threatened by it? Or is it that they feel it necessary to enlightened the masses.
Seeing as Christianity is kind of a big thing...I don't get why people act like it is so weird.
You make some really good points. My biggest problem is with the religious right. Who feel it necessary to thrust upon everyone in the United States their belief and in doing so, breach seperation of church and state. In a way, I think this is exactly what atheists do.
The people that make up this land are not all Christians, so why should Christian beliefs be the law of the land?
*steps down off soap box*

AnooCre8ion said...

Hello and thank you for becoming a follower of my blog.

You have some amazing stuff here. It is absolutely true that many of us christians have no historical information of our faith.

We are encouraged throughout the Word, with a great deal in the Proverbs, to go after knowledge and understanding.

Thank you for this observation. I will definitely be back.

Blessings,
Vickie

Darlene said...

Hi! I have an award for you at my blog.

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

You always bless me. Thanks for voicing a rational assertion about Christianity. It is good to know with both head and heart why we believe what we do.