Sunday, October 12, 2008

How Much Would You Pay?

I wonder what would happen if we had to pay actual money for our lives…? If for every hour of our life we would have to pay, let’s say, a hundred bucks…? Obviously, we would run out of money quickly (unless we are of a selected few such as Gates, Hiltons or Trumps, but I doubt any of those specimens are reading my blog)… but that’s not the point. My point is that if our lifetime was something we had to pay for, I bet we would appreciate it much more and our attitude towards time that keeps running away from us would change.

We can’t ignore the fact that we all will die someday. It means, that every minute of this life (not excluding this very minute of exploring the web), brings us closer to our death. We don’t like to think about it as if we won’t, we’ll always stay young, charming and attractive. We live as this life would never end. We spend hours on MySpace instead of using our talents; we watch hours of TV and spend months or years on jobs we don’t like instead of fighting for dreams and working our behinds off to achieve the goals. We keep finding excuses for not doing what God called us to do as well as blaming Heaven/circumstances/parents/spouses/presidents/pets (list can be long, depending on how creative you are) for not being in places we would rather be. We are so busy in this everyday rush, that we miss our lives. We concentrate on small problems, we do things that have absolutely no meaning and we fight over minor things and miss what’s important. I am not preaching to anyone but me right now, because I know myself well and can assure you, that I am very guilty of all of these things. For example, this morning I got excited for getting an Ives Rocher order, so I spent half an hour looking at the creams and tubes and browsing the new catalog which was generously put into the box without charge; then I got upset when I realized that my Victoria’s Secret order didn’t arrive yet, so I spent another half hour browsing victoriassecret.com trying to figure out if my order has left the stock yet. Then I logged into Myspace, then my gmail account, then my mail.ru account and MSN account. When I was done with MSN I went back into Myspace to see if I got any more messages while I was checking all of my email accounts. Another half hour passed. Then Sasha woke up, so I didn’t need to find anymore excuses for not writing or doing something else more valuable and useful… Ninety minutes of my life… Ninety quiet minutes when my kids are asleep, the dinner is taken care of and schoolwork is mostly done. I blew it just as I do most of the time.

I don’t believe in reincarnation and think that we have only one earthly life. Why then do I keep wasting it and killing my time like it will never run out?…It will run out one day. I think that if I wake up with this thought tomorrow, my day would be much more productive than this one.

3 comments:

Adventures In Babywearing said...

Oh you definitely have given me something to think about, too!

Steph

Darlene said...

whew. convicted. I am buzzing off of this computer right now!

Darlene

Sean said...

Waisted time. I'm guilty too. Although lately I don't have a lot of it.
I think though...That sometimes we need those moments to take a breath before the next adventure.
Often times though we never take that breath because we are too busy checking email. LOL!
If you get the urge to check your email do something more self-fulling instead. I actually did that this weekend. I decided to check my email later and take the dog for a walk. I got a nice breath of fresh air and wasn't glued to my computer.
It's tough though....I really had to drag myself away.